To do: We are going to work with graffiti and the artist Banksy. We will focus on listening/talking today and continue with the writing on the next lessons. You will lfind out who he is and what his political statements are.
What is graffiti?
Graffiti is the name for images or lettering scratched, scrawled, painted or marked in any manner on property. Graffiti is any type of public markings that may appear in the forms of simple written words to elaborate wall paintings. (Wikipedia)
Work in groups and discuss these questions:
- What do you know about graffiti, street art? Do you like it?
- Is it popular in your city?
- Do you consider it art or vandalism?
- What should happen to someone caught doing it?
- How would you react if your walls were painted with graffiti without your consent?
Read the statements below and decide which ones you agree with and justify your answers.
- This is kind of art, this could enhance the creativity of street painters.
- They make a dirty environment with paintings that are not useful.
- This is identical with crime, they should put in the jail.
- It is definitely art and it should be celebrated.
- It is definitely vandalism and creators should be sent to jail.
- It is art, but there should be specific places to create it.
- It is art, but I don’t want it on my wall, thank you.
- Some of it is art, but most of it is trash.
- It reflects the culture of youngsters in the society.
- I don’t look at them on the walls, I just ignore them.
- If it’s art, why not put them on canvas and frame them?
The questions are taken from warmupsfollowups.wordpress.com
We will watch a short film about Banksy. You will find it here.
Afterwards we will look at the slideshow below. Click on the picture to see some more! We will discuss them based on these questions:
- Describe the picture to each other?
- Is there anything strange about the picture? What?
- Is the picture trying to tell us anything political?
Some more about Banksy and his paintings
Who is Banksy?
- What did you find about about the artist?
- How do you think Banksy has been able to keep himself a secret?
- Any paintings by Banksy you prefer? Which ones?